Why use Excalibur?
Excalibur is designed with approachability in mind. You can make some classic favorites with just a few lines of code! Excalibur will meet you where you're at, whether you're new to game development or an experienced game maker.
Excalibur has a ton of features to help you make games!
- Objected-Oriented TypeScript first API
- Actors come prebuilt everything you need
- SpriteSheet, Sprites, and Animations
- Text and Font support
- Built in Math utilities like Matrix and Vector
- Collision Detection
- Arcade Style and Realistic Physics
- 2D and Isometric TileMaps
- Tiled and Aseprite integrations
- Optionally write custom WebGL Renderers
- Optionally use Entity-Component-System style development
There are a lot of great tools out there to build games on the web, no tool is perfect, use whatever tool makes you happiest 😊
Excalibur's Design Philosophy
- Excalibur aims to be the best 2D game development experience for the web.
- Excalibur is flexible with sensible defaults.
- Excalibur is a "batteries included" game engine, you can just do the things you want